Troubleshooting your live stream
If you or your viewers are experiencing issues with your live stream, you can use the steps below to address common problems.
Many live stream issues can be fixed by following the steps in this guide. However, if the issue persists you can reach out to our Support team by using the dedicated contact form or emailing us through the dedicated email address provided by your Content Manager.
Troubleshoot viewer errors
If you've received reports about errors viewing your live stream, you may be able to determine the cause of the issue by the number of viewers affected. Use the steps below to begin troubleshooting viewer reported errors.
A single viewer or network is reporting errors
- Ask the viewer(s) to try using a different computer or network to access the live stream to see if the problem continues
- Ask them how they encountered the problem and see if you can reproduce the same issue
- Ask them to test their internet connection at www.speedtest.net to ensure their bandwidth is sufficient for streaming
Multiple viewers and networks are reporting errors
Check your live stream encoder
You can use the table below to see where some problems may occur with your encoder.
|Encoder software version||
Compare your encoder settings to the recommended settings in our Encoding parameters article.
Ensure that the Stream URL is accurate, and the Stream Key matches the one listed in your Live Stream settings.
Check the content displayed in your encoder to see if the audio and video are playing back normally.
If there is an issue with the content you see in the encoder, the problem is likely the encoding settings or the source video itself.
Check your internet connection
To successfully broadcast a live stream, you need a network connection with enough bandwidth to deliver the content to Dailymotion's publishing servers.
To check your internet connection, go to www.speedtest.net and ensure that the upload speed is at least 150% of the video bitrate set in your encoder settings. If not, you can either adjust the setting in your encoder to a lower video bitrate or switch to a faster internet connection.
To ensure you have a stable connection to our publishing servers, you can run a traceroute and send it to our Support team. For more information on traceroutes and how they work, see Running a Traceroute.
Common live streaming issues
Below you can see a list of the most common live streaming issues and how to troubleshoot them.
My live stream is not starting
Check live stream settingsUntil they are enabled, some settings may prevent the broadcast from starting. Ensure that the following settings are enabled in the live stream's settings:
- Visibility is enabled
- The Start Date is accurate, and does not take place in the future
- The End Date is accurate, and does not take place in the past
Check encoder settingsCheck all the settings in your encoding software to ensure that they are accurate.
- The Stream URL is accurate
- The Stream Key matches the one listed in your Live Stream settings
My live stream is lagging or freezing
- Ensure that the recommended settings are being used in your encoding software
- Make sure that your network has sufficient bandwidth by running a speed test at www.speedtest.net and comparing the upload speed to the video bitrate set in your encoder
My live stream has no sound
- Check the source video to ensure that the content has has sound
- Ensure that the audio codec you are using is supported by Dailymotion. You can check our supported audio codecs here
My live stream has sound but no video
- Check the source video to ensure that the content is displaying images
- Ensure that the video codec you are using is supported by Dailymotion. You can check our supported video codecs here
Live Record is not working
- Ensure that live recording is enabled in your Live Stream settings
The live stream audio and video are not synchronized
- Check the source video in your encoder to see if the issue is present
- Ensure that your network connection can support the bitrate set in your encoder settings
- Try restarting the live stream
My encoder can't connect to Dailymotion
- Make sure the machine you are broadcasting from is connected to the internet
- Make sure your network gives you access to port 1935
- If the port is closed, ask your network admin to open it
- It is possible that the publishing server is not responding. See the next section for more information.
The publishing server is not responding
Use the table below to determine the server closest to your broadcasting location, and update the Stream URL in your encoder accordingly.
|USA East (NYC)||rtmp://use.publish.dailymotion.com/publish-dm|
|USA West (SJC)||rtmp://usw.publish.dailymotion.com/publish-dm|